Please apply through this link!
Packaging Manager – Job Description
The Packaging Manager reports to the Director of Brewery Operations.
Job Overview: The Packaging Manager is responsible for overseeing all packaging functions within the Brewery Operations Department with a focus on operating and assuring the quality of all canned and kegged products, as well as operating and maintaining brewery packaging processes and equipment. This position requires the ability to communicate cross-functionally, regularly, effectively, and efficiently with department managers and team members.
Responsibilities and Duties: (Additional duties may be assigned)
- Execute vision for packaging unit, as set forth by Director of Brewery Operations, to drive the packaging unit members to maintain and improve safety, quality, team performance, creativity, and departmental efficiencies/ profitability
- Perform and manage all packaging processes including kegging and canning
- Perform and manage all keg cleaning, maintenance, and inventory
- Coordinate with the Sales and Fulfillment department to provide availability and timelines for finished packaged products
- Manage all packaging unit members
- Create and maintain meticulous packaging notes and data to provide continuous historical information for company quality and regulatory compliance
- Forecast and order packaging materials in advance to avoid costly production disruptions and save on bulk purchases, when necessary
- Create and manage warehousing system for all packaging related inventory items
- Maintain packaging machinery parts inventory and ordering process in order to assure that all necessary parts and back-up parts are available when needed
- Work with leaders of QA/QC, production, cellaring, and facilities to create daily, weekly and monthly work schedules for all production team members
- Monitor and approve packaging unit members’ timesheets and submit approval to Director of Brewery Operations
- Work with Director of Brewery Operations and production and cellaring team leaders to create packaging schedule to fulfill the needs of the company
- Facilitate and manage daily data updates in EKOS brewery management software
- When necessary hire new packaging unit team members with the assistance of the Director of Brewery Operations and Director of Human Resources
- Lead point of contact and responsible party, in conjunction with Facilities Engineer, for all packaging equipment related maintenance and repair issues
- Work with QA/QC Manager, Lead Brewer, Lead Cellarman, and Facilities Engineer to ensure product meets company standards of the highest quality
- Develop and foster strong and positive relationships with packaging related suppliers and industry partners
- Provide relevant training, coaching, and mentoring to team members to assist in production team member growth
- Conduct regular performance evaluations and skills assessments to monitor progress of packaging unit members
- Work with Retail leadership and Director of Brewery Operations to assure weekly and monthly packaging schedule is in line with company objectives
- Work with Director of Brewery Operations to develop performance and productivity metrics for all packaging unit, incentivizing team members’ growth and meeting company goals
- Manage and work with the packaging unit team members to develop and maintain Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all aspects of packaging: cellaring/conditioning, storage, QA/QC and required maintenance SOPs set forth by Facilities Engineer
- Work with QA/QC to maintain and improve packaging line quality control and assurances that meet and exceed company standards
- Oversee sanitation and cleanliness/upkeep of all packaging facilities including the main packaging areas in the brewery, large brewhouse fridge and packaging storage areas
- Possess some knowledge in all areas of brewery operations, fermentation tendencies, and other areas of the company
- Communicate regularly, effectively, and efficiently with supervisors and team members.
- Preform cellaring tasks as needed- Operating cleaning/sanitation cycles on tanks, packaging preparation, part cleaning and other mechanical operations daily
- Oversee packaging operations and verify that proper packaging procedures are being adhered to by all production team members to maintain and improve QA/QC of packaged products
- Ensure all documentation is being filled out and distributed in an effective and timely manner during and after packaging has taken place
- Keep current and running inventory and place timely orders of all packaging materials including, but not limited to, keg shells, keg collars, keg caps, brite cans, can ends, 4 pack holders, and case trays
- Work with packaging unit team members and Facilities Engineer to develop and maintain proper preventative maintenance on canning line and other related components, and assist in any repairs as needed on packaging systems
- Follow Cleaning & Maintenance Schedules and perform all required cleanings to the appropriate standards including tanks, floors, walls, tank exteriors, brewhouse vessels, kegs and other packaging, packaging line, and other equipment as directed
- Monitor quality, temperature, pressure, gravity, and carbonation of in-process tanks and packaged goods
- Follow all inventory procedures for all packaging consumables, chemicals, beer/finished product, cooperage, small parts, packaging supplies etc. and report deficiencies/low levels and/or quality issues to supervisor.
- Perform all appropriate tasks and projects as given by Director of Brewery Operations
- Ability to work a flexible schedule: days, nights and or weekends.
- Must have own vehicle, valid Driver's License, current insurance coverage and clean driving record
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong communication skills to interact with coworkers, customers, and vendors in a professional manner.
- Ability to follow detailed instructions, procedures, and standard operating procedures.
- Possess the ability to multi-task and manage stressful circumstances associated with a fast paced and evolving work environment.
- Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
- Candidate should have at least 1-2 years of experience operating a canning and kegging line
- Adherence to organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
- Good understanding of Quality Assurance / Quality Control and problem solving skills as well as to troubleshoot any beer related issues.
Equipment, Machines and Software Used:
- Data entry software such as Word, Excel, Beersmith, Ekos, and various Google programs.
- Brewery equipment: Scales, keg cleaning machine, forklift, pumps, heating equipment, grain mill, as well as lab and wort analysis equipment.
- Various gas regulators and multi flow liquid valves.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time, perform repetitive motions of the hands and/or wrists, and perform various tasks with dexterity, strength and mobility.
Ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 55 pounds, and be able to move kegs which weigh close to 165 pounds.
High mental and visual attention required for planning difficult work methods and sequences to evaluate and execute qualities of product. AND/OR Extremely close visual attention such as making delicate adjustments to control high speed operations to exercise very precise muscular control.
While performing the duties of this position, the worker is exposed to inside environmental conditions, extreme heat, potential for physical injury, exposure to hot fluids, pressurized vessels and transfer lines, strong odors, chemicals, and moving machinery. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud due to frequent pump operation.